Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring break but still got a bit of studio time!

Finished product
 So - another bird - a bit obsessed aren't I?  So much fun to make - I have more in the works.  I also bought Pam Carriker's new book Mixed Media Portraits.  I haven't done much drawing in a while - and hardly any faces at all.  I love to do them - just wasn't feeling like I could get to it.  I actually had at least 5 preliminary sketches before the final one.  They were hard to photograph because some were so light.  I wasn't going for an exact copy - but to kind of capture that whimsical look on the girl's face.  I used Pam's face mapping (which really helps and is pretty easy).  I am pleased with this portrait - on to some others.

Thanks for visiting - I will be linking to Paint Party Friday tomorrow morning.  Go take a look around there - so much wonderful art!  Have a blessed and artistic weekend.

a couple of earlier attempts

19 comments:

  1. Lovely worl, well drawn! Great bird, too.Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun bird!:-) I really like your sketch. The toned paper adds such pleasing effect. I will have to look up Pam's face mapping... I am still tied to a grid when it comes to faces and would love to grow away from that need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina. Love what you are doing with your birds and your portrait is looking amazing. Great work. Have a wonderful weekend.:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do beautiful faces! I doodle faces a lot, but yours are really refined and gorgeous drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your finished drawing looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea with this birds! I like your colors (not only in this post)
    Have a nice weeekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bird is wonderful.. Bit of a bird girl myself :) Lovely faces. They are so difficult but you make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bird sculpture and portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to see you again, Gina. I haven't seen you at PPF in months. I hope you've been well. I LOVE the birds you've been creating. Sooo cute!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. These birds are so fun, can't wait to see more Gina!! Very inspirational...great faces too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your birds are so cute. Love the little pins on its head :-) And your drawing is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, very funny bird, beautiful and Wonderful portrait !!! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a little obsessed with birds too Gina, but more for feeding and photographing them than creating my own.
    It sounds like you've had lots of fun creating yours... and your sketch is so good.
    I'm hopeless at faces.
    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. What sweet birds and your drawing is beautiful! I love your coffee table, you did such a wonderful job with that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your birds have so much personality. Love his wings and his headdress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful bird sculpture, and great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely portraits you have painted! And such a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete