Friday, August 30, 2013

On the road

detail
Night Watch
side
Weird space plant doodle
This was an artistic journey - not a trip to a distant land.  My WIP of last week morphed into this kind of abstract lady with 2 birds and a tree.  I used old Somerset Studio pages to collage the hair and part of the birds.  Truly a mixed media adventure with paper, acrylic paints of all kinds (Golden fluid, silks,etc), PanPastels, ink and pencil.  The underpainting was originally red and then I added the white you saw last week.  There were some incredibly strange stages during the journey (I think of what I looked like in middle school).  I meant to take pictures of all the stages - but left my camera downstairs and didn't want to stop the flow.  What I like - that I was able to be more bold and use very contrasting colors (not all earth tones); don't know how I feel about the finished work - it is what it is.  I think I am pleased with the abstract qualities.  I will have to live with it a while to figure it out.

Still working on the research for all I need to reopen my shop - in case you think this is overkill - I have done this 2 or 3 times before and not been prepared for the work and had to shut down. I have also been sketching more little women and preparing ATC backgrounds.  I will be open in the next couple of weeks - that is all the pressure I will put on myself!!!

Under the painting is a strange plant doodle I started a while back and found in my sketch book last night.  I decided to finish it and color some parts with Copic markers.  As always - this was a relaxing exercise and a reminder that weird can be a good thing!!!  Linking with Paint Party Friday - go and view the wonderful online weekly gallery run as always by the fabulous Eva and Kristin.  Thanks so much for stopping by - have a blessed and art filled weekend.



16 comments:

  1. Her eyes draw me to her-can't decide yet what they are saying, possibly even fear. I like that- eyes are so hard to draw!
    As far as your shop goes, don't be too hard on yourself- my hubby has been trying to build a website for me for 3 years ha ha (he is a computer teacher at a high school). I no longer push or urge or even beg- I just wait patiently- it will happen some time. Yours will happen some time too I know it will. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lady is so whimsical and your plant doodle is beautiful! I have looked at the zentangles, and just haven't had the time to try it. I used to LOVE doodling while I was growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, it's good just to go with the flow and see where the journey leads you! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your journey from one end of creating to the other! I love the whimsy on the face of your womyn...she looks so smirkishly impish! She looks fun and a bit sneaky in a delightful way!!!! The doodle is delightful in your color palette and swirls. Stellar work. HPPF and a wonderful weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the detail on the magazine collage, you did a marvelous job. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you developing your work! Love the whimsical style and the plant drawing is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your "Night Watch" piece, but my absolute favorite is the abstract plant. It has a real feeling of life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely work this week, I like the title of that last doodle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting is nice but like Arnoldo I am really fond of your abstract. Wonderful freedom of expression.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your doodle! Night Watch is lovely, too. Did you use a flash in the picture or is it truly that golden? I'm nervous about metallic paints for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did with your WIP, and the strong colours you used. That doodle is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the texture you achieved in this painting. It is so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your plant doodle...and the bird seems to be giving the woman some much needed advice...it's an adorable scene...very nicely done!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete