Friday, July 11, 2014

A horse is a horse, of course

Probably dating myself here - (Mr. Ed was a long time ago!)  This is my finished horse portrait - inspired by a photo on my friend Valerie's blog.  Her artwork is wonderful and so are her photos.

I really tried to work with a looser hand here - I love the fact that he looks like he just heard a really terrific joke.  He was probably just trying to charm a carrot or apple out of the photographer!  I wasn't sure what to call this painting - Keep Smiling is what I'm leaning toward right now.

The background was originally the same turquoise, pink and naples yellow acrylic paint marks as the horse - I painted a light coat of gesso over them and then used Pan Pastels (love them!) in 2 different blues and some purple to create the background.  This board had 2 other painting starts on it as well as this painting.  I'm letting the paint completely cure before I apply varnish. I also used this time to see what I needed to do to feel that this painting was complete.  Rushing is my usual pace so I really slowed down - inspired by this blog entry.

I am linking to Paint Party Friday, a  wonderful gallery of art work, hosted by Kristin and Eva.  Thank you ladies for this terrific place to share our art.  Thanks so much for visiting - have a blessed and creative day. 

13 comments:

  1. Just left a comment and it disappeared. Wonderful painting, I just came back from 'talking' to him! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your horse is wonderful. I can't even imagine my painting a horse! And as for Mr. Ed. Yes, I do remember him. TV has certainly changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he is so happy looking, seems like a talent to make a horse seem so happy but still very horse like!! Love the vibrant colors...

    Happy Paint Party Friday!
    Tam Hess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Mr Ed....and this guy is terrific...he does have so much personality...and the eyes actually speak to us!! Good job!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched Mr. Ed every week.
    Great horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love Mr Ed... and now i have that song stuck in my head lol... fabulous work on the painting... every time i try to draw animals they are weird and scary... so doubly impressed...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Ed was the best -- nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still practicing birds. One day I'll draw horses. It'll probably take me 4 years!!! Nice horse! Well done! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh his expression is too cute, and I love the layers of texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful, and Valerie does take lovely photos of those horses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of Mr Ed, but I do love this painting! The horse looks so happy and content ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun horse! Particularly great job with his mouth - they are tricky! He also seems very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet heart!
    Lovely portrait of a very cute horse.

    Annabelle

    ReplyDelete