Friday, March 27, 2015

A wonky city view and a steampunk bird

City Reflections

Steampunk bird
Here is my work for this week! I had a lot of fun painting this 8x10" cityscape.  No actual perspective here!!!  LOL  Very textured and full of color - the reflections are a little hard to see in this picture - but they are on the bottom where the city folks are.

I have had a number of dried gourds from fall decorations for a few years.  My idea was to make birds of them.  So after 4 years I finally made one.  I am usually terrible at steampunk stuff - but I found a tool case of my father-in-law (bottom left) and pulled out a bunch of interesting rusted washers, screws and even a tiny old rusted spring (on the bird's head).  He will be sitting on the old spindle (after I paint it) and I will sccure it to something else so it doesn't topple over and he's going to live on my covered porch - hopefully I will be able to create some buddies for him soon.

The painting will be mounted on a wood board and in the local gallery where my other work is.

So - a mildly productive week - I just got Pam Carriker's new book - Mixed Media Portraits (wonderful book) and hope to start sketching faces again soon.  Haven't done much of that this year.

I'm linking to Paint Party Friday hosted by Eva and Kristin every week - thanks to both of you.  I'm so glad you came to visit and hope you have a blessed and artsy weekend!


26 comments:

  1. Lovely work - the cityscape is great, and I love the steampunk bird. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cityscape is my all time favourite of yours...I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.... the depth and colour is fabulous!! Wonderful gourd bird too...fabulous idea...you go girl... you are just amazing me!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina. Thank you for stopping by my PPF post. I always like your comments and visits. You are right, the VG church I'm painting is my version and I do appreciate your comment very much. Love your cityscape. I've been practicing on the lay of the land. I love yours and how creative with the bird. Great idea with the gourd. Great job. Have a lovely evening. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great gourd project! And the tall buildings are so colorful and fun. Loved seeing what you've been doing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the textur and your color world, no need for perspective in such a joyous, strong work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The city silhouette is lovely. I particularly love elongated figures (like Giacometti's works). Buildings and people go hand in hand. And i remembered Italo Calvino's "Invisible Cities". Your city could be one of those imaginary cities in his book. Happy weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your staempink bird and the bulildings are very arts! Great work!
    Happy PPF to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to look up Mixed Media Portraits. I love these pieces, the bird is so inventive and has a great personality. The round body and the little steampunk wings add charm. The painting is dreamlike. Thanks for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely work!Love your bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, I love your steampunk bird! And a very original cityscape too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the painting and the bird. You get great texture and depth to your colors. Bright and very cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely and interesting work. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful composition, I like this city, maximum beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice work with the colourful cityscape. Houses are fun to do and these look good.
    I like your bird and I'm sure he will be very happy in your porch, especially if he has some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have a lot of gourds sitting about, hummmm. I love anything steampunk and that bird is amazing. And, since I live on TangleStreet, I love your city so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool! I believe these pieces complement each other and would look marvelous in a grouping along with a small potted plant. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The painting is great but I'm really in love with the Bird!!!! I have a lot of gourds in the basement that i either need to do something with or get rid of them. They have been there for years too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an unique bird, so fun!
    and oh my... I love you cityscape! Brilliant lovely colors, and I enlarged it and the reflectons are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your cityscape and adore your steampunk bird.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a brilliant idea! I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both creations have beautiful colors and such a fun style! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete