Thursday, October 6, 2011

Something Different for me


These are pen and colored pencil sketches I did a while ago.  I am trying to work on my drawing skills (or lack thereof!)  The dog was an exercise from Carla Sonheim's book "Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists".  It's a  fun book full of wonderful exercises which will warm up your drawing muscles.  I love to doodle - more relaxing than anything a doctor can prescribe!  Thus - my doodle dog.  The girl - a fruit-filled spirit - was just a result of my practice faces and a fun hairdo inspired by an ad in a magazine.  The pencils are Derwent Inktense and some of the Colorsoft pencils - used dry.  I'm no longer scared to try drawing - just a little nervous about showing the drawings to anyone.  I really can't help wanting to try though - something inside of me is full of pictures waiting to bust out!  Art is a gift from God - we can all create something.  "Art, as far as it is able, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master; thus your art must be, as it were, God's grandchild."  This is a quote from Dante (of Inferno fame) and is a favorite of mine.  Well - life beckons - I'm off now.

No comments:

Post a Comment